Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Matrimonial Strawberry Goat Cheese Pie

I made this pie for my roommate's wedding this past weekend.  Although others said it was *surprisingly* delicious, I'll never know, as it was gone by the time I made it to the front of the pie line...  So sad.  I guess I will just need to make another!  Strawberries and goat cheese is one of my favorite combinations, so why not have them in pie form?  Try it out.  I know I will again.  
*
Recipe:
-1 pie shell, baked and cooled
-1/2 c orange juice
-3/4 c sugar
-1 c strawberry jam (I used my mom's jam, but you could also use mashed fresh strawberries)
-3 Tbsp corn starch
-6 oz goat cheese
-1/4 c whipping cream
-1 quart strawberries, halved

->For glaze, combine juice, sugar, jam, and corn starch in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Cook until thickened and bubbly.  Allow to cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, whip goat cheese and cream together with whisk or hand mixer until light and creamy.  Fill chilled pie shell with goat cheese mixture, spreading evenly.

Top with halved strawberries in concentric circles, pointy end up.  Coat with cooled glaze mixture until just covered (you may have extra).  Chill for about 4 hours, and then serve!

~*TIP:  As recommended by the bride, this pie is sitting on a do-it-yourself pie stand.  A quick trip to goodwill resulted in several combinations of eclectic plates, vases, and candy dishes.  I glued each plate to the top of an upside down vase or dish for a great pie stand.  I was in a hurry, so I just used hot glue, which will work temporarily, but if you want a more permanent piece, use epoxy.  *~

*Thanks to Eric George for getting the above picture of my pie, as I did not think to get a shot of it during all the rush!

No comments:

Post a Comment