Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Juicin'

Well, after a week in the great north, I decided it was time for a little detox.  Detox after a week in pure, pristine, natural wilderness?  Yes.  The air and water might have been clean and pure, but cooking for 11 leads to a lot of convenience meals, and an attitude of "I'm on vacation," contributes to a habit of constant indulgence.  Besides, with my semester about to start, this seemed like my last chance for the summer before things start to get crazy!  Below are three of my favorite juices from my two-day juice detox.  They were so good, in fact, I was almost sad to see the second day come to a close.  But I'm sure I'll be revisiting these three on a more regular basis.  

*Note:  You will need an electric juicer for these...

Beet-Ginger Refresher
Ingredients:
-1 bunch of medium beets (approximately 5-6 beets), tops included
-1-2 inches of fresh ginger
-1/2 lemon, peeled

--> Roughly chop the beets and greens to a size that easily fits in your juicer.  Run all ingredients through, and stir!  That's all.  If the pulpy foam bothers you, you can skim it off, but I just drink right through it.

Spicy Virgin Mary
Ingredients:
-1 clove garlic, peeled
-1/2 shallot, peeled
-1/4 jalepeno, stemmed and seeded
-1/2 bell pepper
-6-7 tomatoes, depending on size
-1 small cucumber
-1/2 lemon, peeled
-cayenne and coriander

->Chop all all veggies small enough to fit your juicer.  Run through the juicer.  Stir the resulting juice.  Garnish with a sprinkle of cayenne and coriander.  Drink up!

Waldorf Zinger
Ingredients:
-4 ribs celery
-3-4 small-medium apples
-1-2 inches fresh ginger
-1/2 lemon, peeled

->  You guessed it...  Chop all veggies into pieces small enough to fit into your juicer.  Run through the juicer, stir... and refresh yourself!

~*TIP:  I recommend peeling your lemon because juicers can have trouble with the pithy skin of citrus, and we don't want miss out on any of that lemon juice!  It will really point up the flavor of just about any juice you make.  *~

No comments:

Post a Comment