Sunday, May 2, 2010

No Bananas About it All-Local Smoothie

A few weeks ago, with the hot weather already hitting, I was thinking of ways to create an all-local version of one of my favorite summer treats: the smoothie. My biggest dilemma?  Bananas.  To me, bananas are usually the essential smoothie fruit, giving my smoothies their sweetness and adding their banana creaminess.  I have a source of local milk and local honey...  We even make our own yogurt every week.  I had also recently procured an excess of fresh ripe strawberries from the farmers market, so I knew that would be a component.  But what local ingredients could replace the sweetness lost by ousting the banana?  Apples of course!  See below for my all-local smoothie recipe.  No bananas about it.  

Recipe:
-1 c milk (or half milk, half yogurt)
-1/2 Tbsp honey
-1/2-3/4 c apples, chopped and frozen
-3-4 medium strawberries

--> Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth.  That's it!  Just as sweet and delicious as the banana alternative.

~*TIP: I bought strawberries in bulk at the farmer's market so that I could get a better price.  But I knew there was no way I could eat all of those strawberries before I lost some.  To make the most of my berry bargain, after washing the berries (see tip from April 8), I separated out the ripest berries, and froze them.  Whole.  With the stems.  The stems are edible, and if you're just going to blend them up anyways, no need to put the extra work into stemming them.  Now I have frozen local berries to pull out and use whenever I need them rather than buying them pre-frozen at the store.*~

No comments:

Post a Comment